Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The newest phobia!


I recently recieved my new "Samsung Omnia SCH-i910" cell phone from Verizon. Shweet! After torrenting hundreds of dollars worth of programs (major exaggeration) to practically do an entire conversion into a Windows Mobile based "iPhone" a few thoughs came to me. I am officially obsessed with a small electronic object that has turned me into a radiated, email and mobile web obsessed zombie! (Just as a side note; I'm actually writing this from my phone. I'll fix up the typos on my PC later...)

As I went about my duties in Germany and Austria a few years ago, I recall multiple times when I observed mere children ranging from age 5 (no joke) to 15 carrying not only a mobile phone (called a Händi over there) but multiple phones per child! I specifically remember at a train station, a boy of about 10 pulling four phones from his pockets as he searched for the culprit playing the "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi ringtone. Only to overhear his conversation with his mother telling him to come home for dinner! I lived until I was 22 without a cell phone and now kids that need their parents help to zip up their pants go into a frenzy of wanting.. no.. needing to join the "in" crowd by getting their own unneeded sources of communication to flash around to their friends and have them confiscated by the justly, unruly teachers that listen to them interrupting their classes all day.
AAAaaaaahhhh, but be ye therefore not decieved! Adults are usually the source of such obsessions through their own slightly (if not overly) immature obsessions. As I look back I realize I've become an object of my own pet peeve. After a few thoughts on my newly discovered (or realized) obsession I did some research on the matter. I've only come to find we afflict ourselves with our own phobias... Read on.
Getting married, starting a job or going to the dentist have long been recognized as sources of great stress. But it seems they are now matched by a new, peculiarly 21st century affliction - the fear of being out of mobile phone contact. Millions apparently suffer from "no mobile phobia" which has been given the name nomophobia. It's become so bad they had to name it so psychologists could earn their keep. People have become so dependent on their mobile that discovering it is out of charge or simply misplacing it sends stress levels soaring. 
Experts say nomophobia could affect up to 53% of mobile phone users
More than 13million Brits fear being out of mobile phone contact, according to a survey in London somewhere. (Apparently Europeans are worse than Americans at the moment. But there's more of them. We're catching up...)

Keeping in touch with friends or family is the main reason why they are so wedded to their mobile. More than one in two said this is why they never switch it off. One in ten said they needed to be contactable at all times because of their jobs, while 9 per cent said that having their phone switched off made them anxious. (You can't tell me this doesn't sound familiar.) Experts say nomophobia could affect up to 53% of mobile phone users, with 48% of women and 58% of men questioned admitting to experiencing feelings of anxiety when they run out of battery or credit, lose their phone or have no network coverage. We're all familiar with the stressful situations of everyday life such as moving, break-ups, and going to school. But it seems that being out of mobile contact may be the 21st century's latest contribution to our already hectic lives. Whether you have run out of credit or battery, lose your phone or are in an area with no reception, being phoneless can bring on a panicky symptom in our 24/7 culture.
Researchers advise those keen to avoid nomophobia to keep their credit topped up, carry a charger at all times, give family and friends an alternative contact number and carry a pre-paid phonecard to make emergency calls if your mobile is broken, lost or stolen. (what a pathetic life)
Other tips include keeping a record of your numbers in case you lose your handset and carrying the phone in a closed pocket or bag to avoid loss or theft. They add that you could also try to liberate yourself from the shackles of your mobile by simply switching it off once in a while. Blasphemers! Stone them! Burn tham at the stake! ...ahem...


Can you imagine if everone that had a cell phone would have the same kind of devotion to their education, family relations, religion, jobs, etc. that they have for their cell phones! Teenage girls would rule America! PDA toting businessmen would be world dominating! If only those values bacame as big a fad as being able to text your friends, we'd go across the room and say "Hi! How are you? Want to see a movie later?" and actually make friends instead of pay some large company to send "how R U? want 2 c a mu V l8tr?" over cancer inducing, radiation filled radio waves to an obnoxious electronic device that we payed too much for.

Don't worry, I'm not a fanatic. Technology is a blessing that has helped the world in many ways. It's just something to think on.
Now if you'll excuse me, my hands are staring to shake. I need to go plug in my Omnia before I play a quick game of Bejeweled 2 and check my email and SMS messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment